Saturday, February 16, 2008

Phil Collins - visual artist



I am currently working on some thesis about two pieces of work done by an artist called Phil Collins. Although everyone tend to confuse him with a very popular British pop singer, I want to accent that it is not him! This Phil Collins is a visual artists that is working in the field of photography and video, and was nominated for a Turner prize in the year of 2006. Anyway, as I am preoccupied with this subject its quite natural to write about it. While I was browsing through the web for his biography and work I came to a video that shows an interesting perspective of art, that is very similar to what I am interested in. He is talking about his Turner prize nomination and at the same time communicating very concuasly with a person that is standing behind the camera. What I find interesting here is the interaction between a viewer and the person that is being viewed.Very similar to this project of his, photographs named Young Serbs, are dealing with almost the same issue- communication between people and different cultures. I've posted two photographs from the his project Young Serbs, and the rest you may find here:
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/WorksList?searchid=24664&tabview=lightbox

No comments: